7.09.2009

Peace Like a River

I LOVE to read, I love to collect books and I love to share my favorites with my friends. So it seems appropriate that I should begin blogging about the books I finish. The first book I'll review is one that was chosen by my friend at work for our "book club." We haven't actually met together to discuss any books yet, but I'm confident that one day we will get around to it!

The book we chose to read was Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. I'll keep this "review" short and simple. Not since Atonement by Ian McEwan have I read something this well written. From the first chapter I was completely taken in by this book. Almost every sentence feels like it can be pulled out of its current context in the book and used as a line of poetry (or one of those little profound quotes everyone lists on their FB pages). I'm not kidding, it's eloquent, but at the same time it's funny, down-to-earth and extremely entertaining. It's definitely one of the best books I've read in quite awhile.

The story is about a boy and his father and sister who go on a journey in search of their brother/son who is on the run from the law after being charged with murder and escaping from jail. I could tell you more but it's better not to give too much away about the plot. I would just read it if I were you.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading this -- thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete